We support one of the highest life safety systems, and that is the installation of domestic sprinklers
Since 2001 – 243 deaths occurred in dwelling houses in Wales.
In 2013-14 almost 90% of UK fire related deaths occurred in dwelling houses. Firefighters now use 20 times more water than a sprinkler with the cost of property damage reduced by up to 90%. Risk of false alarms significantly reduced.
- Reduce death and injury in fire
- Reduce the risk to fire fighters
- Protect property and heritage
- Reduce the effects of arson
- Reduce fire costs and disruption to the community and business
- Simply reduces risk to life!!
Householders Guide to Fire Sprinklers
Regulations: (2014) applied to new and converted:
- Care Homes (as defined in the Care Standards Act 2000)
- Children’s Residential Homes
- Boarding Houses
- Halls of Residences
- Hostels (other than hostels intended for temporary accommodation for leisure purposes e.g. not Youth Hostels or backpacker hostels)
In 2016 New Regulations also applied to:
- Any other residential purpose
- This applies to any property that is becoming residential, therefore:
- All New Build construction
- Existing (non-residential properties converted to new residential use)
- Now to include Holiday Lets
The new regulations do not apply to:
- Residential caravans
The new regulations apply when a new building work creates a new residence or residences, or when a change of use occurs to convert an existing building into a new residence or residences.
Standards of systems:
BS EN 12845:2015 (commercial systems)
BS 9251:2014 (residential occupancies)
BS 8458: 2015 (residential water mist systems)