Here are some tips from South Wales Fire and Rescue Service to ensure that you smoke safely:
- Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Put them out. Right out!
- Never smoke in bed.
- Use a proper ashtray – never a wastepaper basket.
- Make sure your ashtray can’t tip over and is made of a material that won’t burn.
- Don’t leave a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe lying around. They can easily fall over and start a fire.
- Take extra care if you smoke when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs, or if you’ve been drinking alcohol. You might fall asleep and set your bed or sofa on fire.
- Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
- Consider buying child resistant lighters and matchboxes.
If you’re looking to give up smoking for good, ASH Cymru have lots of information available as they work towards a smoke-free Wales.