Abercarn fire station is situated on the Prince of Wales industrial estate adjacent to the A467, and serves the main towns of Abercarn, Newbridge, and the surrounding villages of Cwmcarn, Crumlin, and Swffryd. It serves an estimated population of 24,000 people, and covers an area of 5180 hectares/20sq miles.
Newbridge, Abercarn and Crumlin form the urban centres, all surrounding the river Ebbw, Abercarn fire station serves a wide array of risks from commercial and industrial premise, residential property currently increasing at a steady growth rate, mainly terraced houses, with some larger new residential developments offering executive and affordable housing.
These villages are surrounded by farmed, natural and managed forestry. We also have seven square miles of Cwmcarn Forest Drive and Mountain bike centre which is visited by 60,000 people every year.
Running through Abercarn is two arterial trunk roads the A472 and the A467 this presents a mix of dual and single carriageways The roads serve as commuter routes to Newport and Cardiff. With a single rail link permanent way linking Cardiff to Ebbw Vale.
Following SWF&RS Risk Reduction Plan, which commenced in 2007, the Station has undergone a change to the crewing system. It is currently actively recruiting personnel within the locality to undertake Retained Duty System (RDS) which replaced the Day-Crewed system in 2011.
Station built in 1975 on the site of the Prince of Wales Colliery.
In 1878 the colliery suffered the 2nd worst mining disaster in the UK.
It replaced the station at "The Old Council Yard West End Abercarn" which had 1 WDS WRL, 1 RDS WRL and a Rescue Tender.
The Station Changed from Shift to Day Crewing in 1979 and day crewed to RDS in 2011.
Prior to amalgamation served as Divisional HQ, Fire Safety HQ and Training school for Gwent Fire Brigade.