The South Wales Fire & Rescue Authority currently has three vacancies for Independent Members of the Standards Committee.
The main purpose of this Committee is to promote and maintain high standards of conduct by its Councillors, and assisting them to observe the Members’ Code of Conduct. Under normal circumstances, Members would be required to attend one scheduled meeting a year plus training events, although Members may need to make themselves available for unscheduled meetings at a few days’ notice should the need arise.
The appointment would initially be for a period of 6 years, and there may be an opportunity to extend for a further period of four years. A daily/half daily allowance is payable and appropriate travel expenses can be claimed.
Suitable applicants will be able to demonstrate the following qualities and characteristics:
· Experience, or depict the attributes necessary, for evidence based enquiry and decision-making on sensitive and complex issues.
· Provide evidence of their own commitment to high standards of personal and, where appropriate, professional conduct, probity and ethics.
· Interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a committed member of the Standards team.
· The ability to contribute to the continuous improvement of standards and ethics throughout the Authority by co-ordinating effective training and reviewing the application of best practice.
The following persons cannot in law be an Independent Member:
· A serving Councillor or Officer (or spouse or civil partner of a Councillor or Officer) of a Fire & Rescue Authority/Service, County/County Borough Council, a National Park or a Community/Town Council.
· A former Councillor or Officer of South Wales Fire & Rescue Authority/Service.
· A former Councillor or Officer of any County/County Borough Council, Constituent Unitary Authority, Fire & Rescue Authority or National Park Authority until at least one year after ceasing to be a Councillor or Officer of that Council/Authority.
· An Independent Member should not have had any previous dealings with the Authority, business or otherwise, which could compromise their impartiality, nor had any close relationships with serving Members or Officers of the Authority
The Authority believes that there is real value in having a diverse membership of its Standards Committee and encourages applicants from all sections of our community.
Independent Members are able to claim the following allowances as co-opted Members:
Chair…………………….£256 (4 hours & over) £128 (up to 4 hours)
Ordinary Member……..£198 (4 hours & over) £ 99 (up to 4 hours)
In addition, there is the provision for the reimbursement of necessary costs for the care of dependent children and adults (provided by informal or formal carers) and for personal assistance needs up to a maximum of £403 per annum (receipts must be provided). Reimbursement of the costs will only be made where the care necessary to enable a person whose ability to participate would be limited by their responsibilities as a carer.
An application pack can be obtained by emailing email@example.com or telephoning 01443 232200 or our 24 hour recruitment line on 01443 232333.
For an informal discussion, please contact Sally Chapman or Calvin Powell on 01443 232007.
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is midday on 26th January 2018.
Address:South Wales Fire & Rescue ServiceForest View Business ParkLLANTRISANTCF72 8LX